google search

Custom Search

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Pain Reliever


I stood steadily before the coffin of my best friend. I was wearing a blank face and tears suddenly fell on my face. I was not really crying. I am not sad about the fact that she is already gone, actually I am happy. I am happy because finally my dying friend is finally at rest.  I turned away from the bronze coffin with silver edges. I sat down staring blankly at the floor when a tin foil wrapper of a capsule caught my eyes; I stood up quickly and excitedly picked it. I examined it thoroughly then I realized it’s the same pain reliever my friend used to take whenever her heartburn strikes. I hold it tightly and returned to my seat. I was looking around, keenly observing the people in the funeral parlour, I’m looking for someone actually I just don’t know who that was.  A man standing before the coffin caught my attention. He stands there meticulously observing the body lying on the box of eternal life. He wears a white coat paired with denim jeans, his hair properly done and he stood smartly. He feels the coffin through his hands and he slowly turns away from the coffin. But the direction of his head shows that he is still observing the body. He raised his head, a memory flashes into my mind.
“Just calm down, everything will be alright” I said to my friend as I held her hand tightly while rubbing her on the back to comfort her. “I’ m afraid, what if... “Sssshhhh” I interrupted. The door opened and a man of good posture entered the room. It was the doctor. He wears his long medical gown with the stethoscope around his neck. He was holding a long brown envelope. He gave it to me and commanded me in a gesture to open it.  I took a deep breath at first I was hesitant but when I saw her facial expression permitting me to do so, I opened it with my heads up looking up to the ceiling, no to the heavens. I looked at the files. It says that her heart disease is severe. I confided her. She stood up and ran away. “Thank you doctor, please excuse me” I said. I hurriedly followed her outside.
“If ever my heart aches severely you must only buy a pain reliever from this pharmacy. Let the guy with the clean cut hair serve you. The moments he entertains you, say these words “I need a pain reliever for the heart”. He will give to you what you want even if you will not present the prescription.” She said in a calm voice. She walks slowly as if she was floating. Instead of following her, I headed directly to the pharmacy to buy the pain reliever she asks me to. I said the words she wants me to say. I observed the man detail by detail. He is a man of good posture, he is neat. The uniform fits his complexion. His name tag suggests that he is Mr. Ian Flores. “Is this right?” He asks gently. I was surprised because it was the medicine I intended to buy. “Yes” I said surprisingly. I paid it then I directly went in the car. “Did he entertain you?” she asks with a blank expression. “Yes he’s kind” I said in response as I handed her the pack of medicine. She smiled. It was the same smile I have been witnessing every time she will take that medicine. I just smiled back instead of giving her the usual insult.
We arrived at her pad. She has been living alone for five years. Her parents migrated when her sister grant her parents petition. I put the groceries in the tall silver French door fridge. After doing it, I went to the sala where she was calmly sitting as she examines the medicine I bought her. When she was holding it I feel that she was happy. I can’t figure out why. I just observed her.
“How I wish there is a pain reliever for the heart” she said in a monotonous voice. “Well, you’re holding it” I said confidently. “I mean the one that will really cure the pain” she commented back as she stands on the doorway while holding the medicine near her heart. “Isn’t that effective enough?” I asked. “ Never mind” she said turning away. “Bye, I’ll be here tomorrow at 9 am I have to pick up the files at the office” I said as I head to my car. When I got into my car, I took a deep breath and stared blankly to the stirring wheel. I was confused. I am clueless of what she had said. Actually my confusion started when she asks me to buy the medicine from the pharmacy. With the directions she has given me to the response I got from the pharmacy attendant and to the statement she had said. I turned on the engine and drove at my usual speed.
I arrived at her pad at exactly 9 am. She was still in her bedroom. I went to the kitchen and found no signs of her that she had her breakfast. I opened the fridge and took the cereals, the loaf bread and the box of fresh milk. I prepared everything and I went to her room. “Breakfast’s ready.” I said in an inviting tone.  “Good morning” she replied as she stretched her hands and yawn. She stood up and followed me to the kitchen. We ate. It’s the usual routine we have together.
“About last night” I said starting a conversation. “Why, what about it?” she asks me back as she takes a sip of the milk. “About the pain reliever” “Ah that? Never mind that” she commented as if she doesn’t want to talk about it. I respected it. I looked at my wristwatch; it is 10:30 am. “ I have an appointment by 11 am, I have to go.” I said as I take the last bite of my bread.
The usual routine continued for nine months. “Breakfast’s ready! Come it’s bacon and eggs this time!” I said in my usual inviting tone. There was no response so I got near her, I tickled her but there was no movement. Her skin was cold. My heart pounded. There was no pulse from her, no heartbeat and no single breath. I stayed as calm as I could but my tears keep falling. She’s gone.
                Those are the hurtful memories that flashed when I saw Mr. Ian Flores. He sat down with my friend’s parents. But the mother stood up and walked sarcastically. She walked fast with her eyebrows raised high. “Wait, Im so sorry tita” Mr. Ian Flores uttered as he tries to held her back. “Leave now, we don’t need you here” she said in an angry tone pushing him away.  She walked away from him heading to the CR. Myla, my friend’s beautiful sister offered him a  hand. “Go now... you have no place here anymore. You’re no longer connected to us the moment you broke her heart” she said in a low voice but with obvious anger in it as she looks towards my friend’s coffin. I keenly observed them. He walked away and Myla got near me. She explained to me everything. My friend and Ian is engaged for two years before they migrated to Canada.
                I head to the coffin slowly feeling her and I said “There is no medicine proven b science to cure the pain in our hearts but it’s only us who can cure it. In time everything will heal.”

3 comments:

  1. hmmmmmmmm,,,, maybe its to late to realize how things are destroyed... huhuhu!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's why we should live every minute detail of life! do what you must!

    ReplyDelete

blog review